Overview of University
Start of Teaching at Nishtar Medical College
- College was formally inaugurated on 1st October 1951.
- Dr. Mohammad Jamal Bhutta was appointed the first Principal of the Nishtar Medical College and the first Medical Superintendent of Nishtar Hospital.
- 52 male students were admitted in the first year M.B.B.S class. The teaching started at the Civil Hospital Multan, while the construction work was going on rapidly at the present site of Nishtar Medical College.
- The uniforms for the students of Nishtar included Grey Jinnah caps, white shirts, khaki pants, black shoes and white coats.
- Dr. Mohammad Jamal Bhutta designed the flag, the crest and the motto of Nishtar Medical College. The Nishtar Flag has a red stripe added to the Pakistan Flag. The crest has the surgical lancet or “Nishtar” as the center piece of the crest. This also indicates the name of the college. The crescent and star (the Islamic logo) are shown in the right hand upper corner of the crest. The dome of a mosque with a date palm in the upper left corner symbolizes Multan. The symbolic five rivers are included in the crest to indicate Punjab.
|Sr. Name||Sr. Name|
|1. Dr. M. H. Toosy||10. Dr. M.J. Bhutta|
|2. Dr. Muhammad Ibrahim||11. Dr. Nazeer-ud-Din Khan|
|3. Dr. M.A. Farooqui||12. Dr. Abdul Majeed Khan|
|4. Dr. Abdul Aziz Khan||13. Dr. Mohammd Alamgir|
|5. Dr. N.A. Sial||14. Dr. A.A. Wyne|
|6. Dr. Abdul Ghani Khan||15. Dr. Muhammad Akhtar|
|7. Dr. Muhammad Shafi||16. Dr. Khurshid Begum|
|8. Dr. Sardar Ahamd||17. Dr. Shaukat Raza|
|9. Dr. Maryam Khatoon|
Vice Chancellors NMU
- The University is recognized for undergraduate and post-graduate medical training by the Pakistan Medical Commission (PMC) and the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Pakistan (CPSP).
- It is listed in the FAIMER International Medical Education Directory of International Medical Schools.
- The College was initially affiliated with University of the Punjab Lahore, the only University in Punjab at that time.
- In 1975 it became affiliated with Bahauddin Zakariya University, a newly formed university for South Punjab.
- In January 2003 it became affiliated with the University of Health Sciences, Lahore.
- In September 2017, College was upgraded to University status after the passage of Nishtar Medical University Act by Provincial Assembly of Punjab.